The young Jennifer Corvino (played by Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Connelly, in one of her first film roles) is sent to a private Swiss academy for girls where a vicious killer is on the loose, brutally murdering students. Jennifer is a “gifted” girl with the strange ability to communicate with insects, and Dr. McGregor (Donald Pleasence, John Carpenter’s HALLOWEEN series, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK) enlists her to help locate the killer. Jennifer finds herself in a bizarre murder plot with maggots, mutants, and razor-wielding chimpanzee mayhem! Can she uncover the killer’s identity before becoming a victim herself? Daria Nicolodi (TENEBRAE) and Fiore Argento (DEMONS) also star in this strange, unique and gory film from Italy’s Master of Horror, Dario Argento. PHENOMENA also features fantastic soundtrack music from progressive-rock favorite Goblin, British Heavy Metal masters Motörhead & Iron Maiden, Andi Sex Gang, Bill Wyman and Simon Boswell!
Synapse Films is proud to present Dario Argento’s PHENOMENA on a 2-disc Blu-ray containing THREE different cuts of the film re-mastered in stunning high-definition
- THREE different cuts of PHENOMENA, all available in high-definition for the first time ever in one collector's edition package!
- Audio Commentary Track on PHENOMENA (110 Version) from Argento scholar and author, Derek Botelho and film historian, journalist and radio/television commentator, David Del Valle
- Two completely different sound mix options on PHENOMENA (110 Minute Version), including the original 2.0 stereo mix, along with a rare alternate mix containing different sound effects and music cues
- English/Italian Hybrid Audio and Complete Italian Audio Options for PHENOMENA (116 Minute Version)
- DARIO ARGENTO'S WORLD OF HORROR Documentary. A fascinating look at the early films of director Dario Argento, including PHENOMENA, SUSPIRIA, DEMONS, DAWN OF THE DEAD, INFERNO and many more! Containing candid interviews and awesome behind-the-scenes footage, DARIO ARGENTO'S WORLD OF HORROR gives us a look into the mind of Italy's Master of Horror and is an essential viewing experience for all Argento fans.
- Interview with Andi Sex Gang
- PHENOMENA International Theatrical Trailer
- CREEPERS U.S. Theatrical Trailer & Radio Spots
- Optional English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard for Hearing on PHENOMENA (110 Minute Version)and CREEPERS Version)
- Multiple optional subtitle selections on PHENOMENA (116 Minute Version), including one for just the foreign English language segments of the hybrid version, complete English subtitles for the entire feature, and complete English subtitles for the Italian version of the film.
"Though Argento's plot is often confused and grotesque, he has a remarkably energetic visual style (mobile camera, slow-motion, careful lighting, creative editing) that is never boring." ---TV Guide
"Phenomena (a.k.a. Creepers) provides what is alternately Argento's most batty and spiritual landscape...Argento s insect fantasia is otherworldly. (Is it a coincidence that Connelly followed her role here with the lead in Jim Henson s classic Labyrinth?) Phenomena s finale is outrageous, a combination of grotesque Freudian pathologies unleashed, evocations of chimp love, a gruesome finger loss and a wicked decapitation." ---Slant Magazine
"Phenomena may not be as consistent as Argento's masterpieces but it's frequently fantastic and deserves a reappraisal" ---SciFiNow