Silent Running (Blu-ray w/ slipcover)
In 1968, visual effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull (The Andromeda Strain, Close Encounters of the Third Kind) contributed to the ground-breaking special photographic effects of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. Four years later, he stamped his own indelible mark on the science fiction genre with his mesmerising directorial debut – Silent Running.
In the not-so-distant future, Earth is barren of all flora and fauna, with what remains of the planet’s former ecosystems preserved aboard a fleet of greenhouses orbiting in space. When the crews are ordered to destroy the remaining specimens, one botanist, Freeman Lowell (Bruce Dern, The ’Burbs), rebels and flees towards Saturn in a desperate bid to preserve his own little piece of Earth that was, accompanied only by the ship’s three service robots.
Featuring a captivating central performance by Dern, visual effects that rival anything in 2001 and a powerful ecological message, Silent Running is a haunting and prescient sci-fi classic that resonates even more strongly today than it did at the time of its original release.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
– Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative, approved by director Douglas Trumbull and produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release
– High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
– Original lossless mono audio
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Brand new audio commentary by critics Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw
– Original audio commentary by Douglas Trumbull and actor Bruce Dern
– Isolated music and effects track
– No Turning Back, a new interview with film music historian Jeff Bond on the film’s score
– First Run, a new visual essay by writer and filmmaker Jon Spira exploring the evolution of Silent Running’s screenplay
– The Making of Silent Running, an archival 1972 on-set documentary
– Silent Running by Douglas Trumbull and Douglas Trumbull: Then and Now, two archival interviews with the film’s director
– A Conversation with Bruce Dern, an archival interview with the film’s lead actor
– Theatrical trailer
– Extensive behind-the-scenes gallery
– Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Arik Roper